Saturday, October 10, 2009

Last of the Farmer Market bounty
The last of the Farmer's Market bounty until next year.

The Ignacio Farmer's Market was quite the success, especially for its first year. It was such a great addition to our community. Tay and I are talking about growing a market garden for next year in order to be able to participate in it.


Hand spun
Hand spun yarn drying indoors.

I have been one obsessive drop-spindling mofo lately. I have so much hand spun right now, which completely rocks. I love to knit and spin year-round, but when the weather cools down it becomes something of a seasonal imperative to start churning out hats and mittens and scarves. Warm socks. Blankets. The list goes on. (Also, Anne, if you're reading this, I have your mitts 90% done. I just need to finish the thumbs.)


Ice ring around the sprinkler.
Ice ring around the sprinkler. We've been trying to give everything one last good soak before we run out of irrigation.


I love this time of year. The feel of autumn is just so peaceful. The quality of the sunlight is just a little more golden, which seems to bathe even ordinary days in a kind of nostalgic glow. It's hoodie weather, which works for me, since they're my favorite item of clothing next to a comfortable bra. You can stash your phone, keys, and a drop spindle in that front pocket if you don't mind looking a bit bloated.

There's the smell of woodsmoke in the air, which I love. I haven't lit a fire yet, because our house stays pretty warm and I'm holding out for that morning when I just can't stand the cold, which will have to be pretty extreme. I'd like to hold out until November, but we'll see. I'm really used to being cold. We froze our asses off last year in that glorified tent of a trailer and our firewood supply ran out, so we spent a lot of time huddled over space heaters. I woke up one morning and found that my water bottle had fallen to the floor and frozen solid. Taylor and I spent a lot of time at coffee houses, with their seductive combination of central heat and wifi. Now that we've moved home, we have central heat, wifi, and two wood stoves. It's kind of like heaven only with out the clouds and harps and such.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! {SMILE}

    That must be quite a farmers' market. {Smile}

    I love the yarn. The colors are so vivid. {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. The market wasn't very big, as these things go, but the selection was really nice and varied. Considering the size of our community, I was really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'd be so fun! And baked goods! I'm a good baker! *Nods* Yeah... >.>

    And...I'm so glad to be out of that, ahem, house. And my glorified closet. ^_^

    Happy days!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!